Thursday, April 19, 2007

Jackassery Abounds

Hi, my name is Katy and I'm antisocial.

Yep, that's me. A great, big, antisocial, hide-in-my-apartment-and-ignore-the-poor-maintenance-guy kinda gal! Mind you, I called maintenance. I asked if they could please come as soon as possible. Amazingly, they showed up within the week and what did I do? I hid. I pretended I wasn't home when obviously I was. You see, I just really didn't feel like answering the door in my pajamas to the guy who came to fix my garbage disposal. That's understandable right?

So, this poor guy knocks on my door several times, announces that it's maintenance, tries the key to get in (I'm assuming) and I just lay in bed, not breathing and hoping that he would go away. Ingenious! Occasionally, they'll come by and if you don't answer the door, they go get the key, so I got out of bed long enough to undo the deadbolt just in case. But he never returned. He did, however leave a note that was dated yesterday (poor guy must be really overworked) and reads:

"Came by to complete work order but night lock was on."

Above that it says

"Sorry I missed you today" but that has been thoroughly scratched out. I guess he decided he wasn't sorry. I can't say I blame him.

So, anyway...my knee and wrist have been hurting and I didn't want to get out of bed. I thought about getting my lazy ass up to let him in if/when he came back but then I had a brilliant idea! I know, I can undo the deadbolt and if he comes by again, I'll just hide in my room. He doesn't even need to know I'm here!

Yes, this is how heinously antisocial I was feeling. Of course then it occurred to me If either of my phones were to ring, he might hear it. OH NO! He might hear me talking on it! Then he'd know I was here and I might have some 'splainin' to do! EEEKKK!!! Time for yet another brilliant idea. I'll turn the ringers off on my phones!

So, thoroughly pleased with my ingenuity, I disconnected from the world at large and went back to sleep. The only problem with that became apparent when I awoke at about 5:30 (yes, I slept in today - what? I was tired!) to my dad knocking on my door and yelling my name. I bet my neighbors enjoyed that...anyway, by now I had unlocked the deadbolt so dad used his key to get in, at which point I, in a sleepy daze called his cell phone. Cause he wasn't directly outside or anything. I don't use a whole Hell of a lot of logic immediately upon waking, okay?!

As it turned out, he and my mom had been trying to call me and couldn't get through - what with the ringers on both of my phones silenced and all. No doubt they were having fantasies about my demise. Just think...it'd save them all that nasty inadvertent murder business! Anywho, it all turned out well and there shouldn't be any indescribable odors coming from my apartment any time soon. I hope.

I'm thinking I may just call the apartment's office tomorrow, apologize and claim that I was in the shower and didn't think to unlock the deadbolt. What do y'all think? Should I just say I'm a REALLY heavy sleeper and wasn't feeling well? I think the shower thing might go over better with Mr. Maintenance Man.

OH! In other exciting news, I got my digital camera today! Of course I didn't check my mail until after 5:30, so I couldn't get the package from the office, but I'm looking forward to fiddling with it tomorrow. Also, Sanjaya FINALLY got the boot on American Idol. There is a merciful God!!! Hooray!

2 comments:

xvii_thestar said...

LOL I've had matinence men show up and come in while I was there sleeping. One this morning for instance... LMAO I woke up to some crashing and was like oh Jeremiah came home for lunch and went back to sleep. When I really woke up I found that Jeremiah really hadn't come come but the drawer in the kitchen was gone. I was like... oh... LOL. I think it's perfectly acceptable to pretend you're not there when maitinence men show up.
As for silencing your phones though er that's a little excessive. LOL If you were napping you'd answer the phone anyway right? So the ringing phone doesn't totally give you away imhop.

As for the inadvertant murder I'll seriously hurt anyone who tries to off my friend. :P

*~*Katy*~* said...

hahaha yes, but you see...I didn't want the maintenance man to *know* I was there. He mustn't be aware that i'm feeling yucky and sleeping!!! EEEKKK!!! My brain obviously wasn't functioning fully.