Monday, May 07, 2007

Profound Stupidity

Repost from my MySpace page:

One of my good friends Gail, posted a blog early this morning about well meaning people making dopey comments regarding whether or not she was praying "right".

The REALLY funny thing here (you'll see why in a minute) is that I'm not overtly religious. I would, personally, never DREAM of telling someone how they should or shouldn't pray. Heck, I'm no expert. I don't even go to church. I just do it (pray that is) my own way because it makes me feel better to think that I'm checking in with a higher power on a regular basis. If that's not your bag, fine by me. Everyone has different beliefs. In any case, this particular blog got under my skin just a wee bit (if you couldn't tell)

It's the kind of thing that really brings out my sarcastic side (like that's ever really put away! ) You know, when you're talking to that person, you just smile and say that you're doing the best you can when really you want to say "No, I'm praying incorrectly. In fact, I'm doing it on purpose because I ENJOY being sick. I LIKE always feeling like I'm letting someone down when I have to cancel plans or turn down invitations. And asking for help from my poor parents who I've already practically bancrupted? I LIVE for that! I also LOVE the hateful looks I get from people when I park in a handicapped parking spot because I honestly dont have the energy to walk 3 miles to get to Wal*Mart. Oh! And the 'pity' from people who have no idea what I feel like or what I'm going through. So, no. No, I'm not praying 'right' and I don't intend to start! But thank you for asking."

I'm not bitter, I swear! Anyway, here was my response to her blog:

Yeah, over the years several people have asked me if I've "received God" or if I'm praying enough/correctly. I'm always like "Is there another way to do it? I'll try it if there is!"
I was having a really bad day yesterday...I mean REALLY bad. I describe days like these to my friends as "God, why do you hate me?" days. Because there are really and truly days when I just feel like I must've unknowingly done something horrifying and God is incredibly mad at me. Then I remembered praying the night before last and saying "I love you no matter what". So, I prayed again and said the same thing and "but I'd REALLY love it if this would stop!" and within a couple of hours I was feeling better. A lot of times I think that the trials and tribulations that go along with Lupus are His way of teaching me things and bettering me. I get a lot of self-reflection done - especially on days when I'm not feeling well.
Anyway, obviously there is no "right" or "wrong" way to pray (in my humble opinion.) Hopefully the well-meaning people of the world will one day understand that YES! We have, in fact, tried every thing we can possibly think of and then some. There is evidently a bigger plan at work here. To think otherwise would just leave us hopeless. Keep your chin up girly! One of these days, everything will be alright. Okay, I'm done preaching - for now...

No comments: